Thursday, July 25, 2013

SHARING THE JOY OF FAMILY HISTORY


I try to share my love of genealogy with my family.  Of course, after a few sentences come out of my mouth, the "glazed over" look appears on their faces.  So, I have learned to do in "bite size" pieces.  I try to make it interesting to them.  Yesterday, I found out that one of our relatives died in "Defiance, Ohio".  Well, those of you who are "Scandal" (the TV show) fans, know that the "rigging of the election" took place in Defiance, Ohio.  Since my kids watch the show, I thought this would be interesting to them.

I also purchased the DVD set of the 1st two seasons of "Who Do You Think You Are?" (the television series that is now showing on TLC).  I bought it for myself to enjoy watching the episodes again, to see if I got any additional clues for my research and to just enjoy someone else finding out about their roots.  I started watching the DVD a few days ago and something  happened.  My daughter (who is home from college for the summer) started watching one of the episodes with me. It piqued her interest. Of course, maybe it was seeing the mosaic of  Emmitt Smith on the bottom of his swimming pool or maybe it was him traveling to Africa to find his relatives.  Of course, when one of the actresses said that finding out about her 7th great grandparent changed her life, my "math major" daughter wondered how when she had 511 other 7th great grandparents, how much effect 1 person  would make.

Last night when we sat down to watch TV, my daughter asked if we could watch the latest episode of "WDYTYA" (the one with Kelly Clarkson).  During the commercials, I had time to relate some of the documents I had found in my research as well as some of the emotions attached to finding about your relatives.  Who knows -- maybe I have a budding "family history" buff on my hands.  Well, it is in her genes!


No comments:

Post a Comment