Monday, April 21, 2014

IRELAND'S PIRATE QUEEN


I have finished reading "Ireland's Pirate Queen" -- The True Story of Grace O'Malley -- by Anne Chambers. I found it fascinating -- not only the fact that Grace played such a strong role during a time of  male dominance (and to think that she was such a fierce woman commanding a fleet of ships)  but also the location where it took place.

A lot of the story took place in County Mayo (the ancestral land of my own Chambers) and specifically mentions Croagh Patrick, which can be seen from the town of Islandeady.  Clew Bay, which is about 15 minutes west of Islandeady, plays a large role in the story.  I visited the town of Westport on my trip to Ireland in 2012 but was only there for lunch and a little shopping and totally missed the Westport House.  After reading this book and about the Westport House on the internet, it is now on the top of my list when I return to the Emerald Isle.

After the reading the book, I was hoping that I could find some family link between Grace O'Malley and my family but as of yet, I can find none.  I am still hoping that perhaps Anne Chambers is related to my Chambers family.

No comments:

Post a Comment