Tuesday, March 17, 2015

SOME MUSINGS ON ST. PATRICK'S DAY


Of course, on St. Patrick's Day, I think about my Irish ancestors.  The above photo is my Dad, his eldest brother Chuck, his mother Theresa (she was 100% German), his older brother Edmund and his father Charles Sherlock (whose both parents were born in Ireland).  The photo was taken in 1945 or 1946.

While I don't have a photo of my Irish great grandmother Bridget Elizabeth Chambers, I do have a few of my Irish great grandfather Edward Sherlock. The one below is probably my favorite one of him. It is very sad that my Grandpa Charlie never got to know his father Edward since Edward died from tuberculosis when Charlie was just 1 years old.


Every St. Patrick's Day since my trip to Ireland in 2012, I think about seeing Croagh Patrick from Islandeady (the childhood town of my great grandmother Bridget).  While I loved seeing the remains of the old church in Islandeady, it was not the church that Bridget attended since it was in ruins in the 1600's.  She probably attended St. Patrick's Catholic Church, which is the current parish in Islandeady.  St. Patrick's is on my list of places to visit on my next trip to Ireland.


Well, enough musing for now, I think it is time to go eat some Guinness Stew, which is my family's St. Patrick's Day dinner tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment