Sunday, November 24, 2019

RETRACING THEIR FOOTSTEPS - BRUSSELS AND AMSTERDAM

Part 5 of the Series on Retracing Their Footsteps




On 28 May 1961, Charles and Theresa flew to Brussels and had lunch in Brussels.  They traveled by bus to Amsterdam, arriving at their Hotel Suisse at 7pm. They took a walk with another couple. The next day they went sightseeing – on a boat trip on the Rhine River. They visited the old St. Nicholas Church in Amsterdam.  On their visit to Amsterdam, they bought a ceramic windmill that played music for each of their sons' family.  As a child, I remember ours sat on our TV in the living room.  



In 2015, my husband, brother and sister-in-law visited the city of Amsterdam. We walked to the flower market and then back to our hotel, the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel.  Our hotel was 2 streets west and a few blocks north of their hotel – Hotel Suisse.  We enjoyed a canal dinner cruise on our first night in Amsterdam.



The following day my husband and I took a tour that included the towns of Zaanse Schans, Volendam and Marken [which are all north of Amsterdam].


So, one of my objectives when I visited Amsterdam was to find and purchase a ceramic windmill to display in our home.  I found the perfect one at Delft Blue.  Now, every time, I look at it in our entertainment center, I think about my Grandparents and about our 2015 trip to Amsterdam. Such great memories!



No comments:

Post a Comment