Tuesday, September 22, 2015

BRIDGES IN LUZERN


When Grandma Theresa (Sherlock) visited Luzern (Switzerland) in 1961, she wrote about visiting the "Dance of Death" bridge in her travel diary.

I started researching activities to do while in Luzern and saw photos of a beautiful covered bridge and made plans to visit this bridge while I was there.   Approaching the bridge, I thought "the bridge is so beautiful, I hope the pictures of death don't ruin it for me".  Well, I guess I should have done more research.  There are actually 2 bridges in Luzern -- Kapellbrucke (Chapel Bridge) and Spreuerbrucke (Mill Bridge).

I visited Kapellbrucke and as you can tell from my photo above, it is very beautiful.  Kapellbrucke is located near the junction of Reuss River and Lake Lucerne.  There are lots of triangular paintings on this bridge, but thankfully not of death.  The paintings chronicle the history of the city of Luzern.  There is also a water tower next to the bridge.

On the other hand, Grandma Theresa must have visited Spreuerbrucke, which is down river from Kapellbrucke.  Spreuerbrucke has paintings about the plague, titled "Dance of Death".  It also has a small chapel.

After visiting the bridge, Grandma Theresa went on a bus tour to Mt. Rigi, which is almost entirely surrounded by water -- Lake Lucerne, Lake Zug and Lake Lauerz.   Since we took the tour to Jungfrauoch, we didn't have time to visit Mt. Rigi, but it is definitely on my "to do" list for my next trip to Switzerland.


No comments:

Post a Comment