Saturday, January 18, 2014

LIFE LONG LEARNER

I think the term "life long learner" describes me perfectly.  I love taking classes on a variety of topics and always have!  In elementary school (probably the 4th grade), I joined the Great Books program where I attended sessions on Saturday to discuss famous literature that we read.  Who does that?  Then when I was in college at UCLA, one quarter I took a class at my local community college in addition to my college classes at UCLA.  I did it because the course on health allied careers sounded interesting.  Really?

So here I am 30 some years later and I am still taking classes.  This past week I attended classes for 4 different courses.  Yes, I am an overachiever and yes, they were in some way related to my family history research.  The class that was the most related to family history research was a class that discussed Family Search.org.  It was offered by my local school district's Adult Ed Program.  We focused in that class specifically on creating family trees on Family Search.org.  Luckily, I brought enough of my information to that class so that I was able to create a tree. Now, since I already have several family trees on Ancestry.com and also keep a private family tree on Legacy software, time will tell whether or not I continue to add information to the Family Search one.

I also attended my first of four sessions of a Photoshop Elements class. I am hoping that this class serves two purposes:

1. To help me organize my tons of photos on my computer -- both my travel photos and my collection of ancestors and relatives photots.

2. To help me edit those "less than perfect" photos  (okay, some are downright bad!)  Who created that film that we used in the 1970's and early 1980's?  It was awful?

My two other courses I will discuss in future posts, but I will tell you the topics now -- "Recording Your Life Journey" and "Learning German".   Well, I need to go practice my rudimentary skills that I learned in my Photoshop class so it at least looks like I know what I am doing next week in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment