Thursday, January 23, 2014

WHY LEARN GERMAN?


I'm sitting in my first session of a "Learning German" class and am wondering "what was I thinking?" The last time I learned (okay, tried to learn) a foreign language was 42 years ago when I was in the 9th grade.  Maybe it is too late for me to learn another language!

So, why am I doing this?  Well, it did seem like a good idea at the time I registered for the class. I thought that it would be nice if I knew at least a few words before my next trip to Germany.  In October, I visited the city of Munich (Munchen) for a day where I attended Oktoberfest and met my cousin Bernd and his lovely wife Susanne.  Most of the rest of that trip was spent in Austria, where they also speak German.  It would have been nice to know some of the words on the menu without having to read the sub-titles.

With a quarter of my ancestors being of German descent, it would also be nice to know some German for my family history research.  The birth, marriage and death records from Germany are all in German -- imagine that!  Plus, unlike the menus they don't come with English subtitles.

So, for those two reasons, I decided to try and learn some German.  Time will tell if an old dog can learn new tricks!  I am thinking I need to make some flash cards.  I will keep you informed about my progress in learning this language but for now

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment