Sunday, February 10, 2013

PETER JOSEPH, MARIA AND EMIL NEBGEN


    

       Who are these people and why are they on my blog?  I thought I would switch gears a bit and discuss some of my German ancestors.  This photo was passed down to me from my Grandma Theresa.  On the back, it is written “Aunt Mary, Dad and Uncle Emil”.   Dad refers to her father Peter Joseph Nebgen, who was born in Dernbach, Germany in 1869.  Sitting in front of him are two of his siblings – Mary (or Maria) and Emil.

          My great grandfather Peter Nebgen served as a midshipman and arrived in the US in either 1887 or 1888 at the age of 18 or 19 years old.  I will discuss him in more detail in a future post.   Since both Mary and Emil did not immigrate to the US but rather stayed in Germany, it is harder to find information on them.  I did find some information that Maria Rosina Nebgen was born in 1880.  She married Anton Peter Haus on 10 Oct 1904 in Duisburg, Germany.  They had 3 children – Anna, Willy and?

          Of course, even though I have several photos of “Uncle Emil”, I cannot find any information on him – no birth date, death date or anything in between.  I think he lived his entire life in Germany but I can’t say for sure.  I do know that Peter Nebgen named his only son after his brother Emil. 

          There are also two more siblings – Nicholas Nebgen and Clemenz Nebgen.  Again I have some photos of Clemenz but no information.  I have fared much better with Nicholas Nebgen since Nicholas was the oldest brother and immigrated to the US first.  He also married the sister of Peter Nebgen wife.   Actually I think it was the reverse, in that Nicholas married Helen Homrich in 1888 – 3 years before Peter married Theresa. 

          Well, I guess I need to do some research on how to research German records and then I can find out more of the story!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    my name is Bernd, I am from Germany.
    Maria Rosina Nebgen was my great-grandmother.
    The photo was taken 1929th. We have another group picture from the same location and day. We want to share the photo with you, but we don't know how this is possible here in your blog - please give me an advice.
    Maybe you can post a picture of Clemens Nebgen here in your very nice blog.
    Best regards
    Bernd & Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernd & Susanne, I am thrilled to hear from you. Perhaps you could send me your photo by email. I will try and contact you by email. I did not know the year of the photo so I appreciate that information.I do have a child photo of Clemens and then one as an adult.

    ReplyDelete