Monday, April 29, 2013

MOVIE MONDAY


"Oh, the Wells Fargo wagon is a coming ..."  Yes, the year was 1962 and the movie "Music Man" premiered, starring Robert Preston and Shirley Jones.  The movie takes place in the fictitious town of River City, Iowa.

I am scanning "slides" of Grandpa Charlie and Grandma Theresa's trip to Europe in 1961 when a few "slides", like those above appear.  Immediately, I start to try and figure out what movie this was.  Grandpa Charlie Sherlock, as I have mentioned in several past posts, was a character actor in the 1930's through the early 1960's.  I remembered that Grandpa Charlie was in a crowd scene in this movie and more specifically the "Wells Fargo wagon" scene with that adorable Ronnie Howard.  We went to see that movie as a family and I specifically remember my Dad pointing out Grandpa ... "Wait for it ... wait ... wait ... oh, there he is!"

I always loved that movie ... all those great songs and dancing and the band that played by the "think method".  I may just have to watch it again!

So, when I found this photo, I researched the date of the movie release (1962) and knew that the photo was taken in 1961.   Most of the other movie photos I have are of Grandpa Charlie but in this one, he was behind the camera.  Thanks, Grandpa, for the behind the scenes photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment